Saturday, June 04, 2005

Exciting

I just received my copy of The Road to Serfdom in the mail. Blog-ing might be light due to reading, but nonetheless I'm excited.

Update: Lots of people forget that Hayek was a Pragmatic Libertarian (though he probably would have called himself a classical liberal):

...there can be no doubt that some minimum standard of food, shelter, and clothing, sufficient to preserve health and the capacity to work, can be assured to everybody.

and

...the case for the state's helping to organize a comprehensive system of social insurance is very strong.

Though, I think I might disagree to some extent with the latter example. I don't know if we need a universal system like Social Security since older people on average tend to be wealthier than younger people, instead I think welfare for the poor would be sufficient.